Acne & Breakouts
- How does IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) work to clear acne?
- Acne bacteria produce certain byproducts as part of normal metabolism. When these byproducts are exposed to a very specific light energy, a chemical reaction produces oxygen below the surface skin, which destroys the bacteria. Simultaneously, heat is delivered to the skin surface which opens pores and accelerates the reaction, causing further bacterial destruction and reducing inflammation.
- Does this work on all types of acne?
- IPL acne therapies clear up to 90% of inflammatory acne lesions in only 1/3 the time it takes for standard topical treatments, without the adverse side effects and down time.
- This treatment is recommended for mild to pustular inflammatory acne. The percentage of acne clearance will, of course, depend on the severity of acne and the number of treatments received.
- How many treatments are required?
- On average, 1 treatments per week for 4 weeks is recommended for mild to moderate acne. Results are usually visible after 4 treatments and will continue to improve even after your final treatment session.
- The number of treatments necessary will vary for each individual depending on the severity of acne and compliance to the regimen treatment plan. For best results, we do recommend maintenance follow up sessions after you complete the initial series of treatments.
**This is often combined with microdermabrasion (mechanical, superficial exfoliation of old skin cells to reveal new, healthy cells). **